About the Icons

Located in the Bishops' Vestry of the Shrine Church. In the realm of iconography, Reverend Paul G. Czerwonka, of the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin, has adorned the Bishop’s Vestry with an original icon depicting the many noteworthy works guided by Saint John Neumann (1811-1860). He immigrated to the United States from Bohemia in 1836, was ordained and later joined the Redemptorist Order. In 1852 he became the fourth Bishop of Philadelphia. He was the first United States bishop to be canonized in 1977 by Pope Saint Paul VI.

The composition of this icon depicts Saint John Neumann as Bishop of Philadelphia, who is credited with the first Diocesan-wide 40 Hours Devotion, as well as establishing the first parochial school system in the United States. He demonstrated a deep devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, writing numerous prayers to the Mother of God, and, on December 8, 1854, he was present at St. Peter’s Basilica when Pope Pius IX solemnly defined the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Saint John Neumann experienced, in his innermost being, the need to proclaim by word and example the wisdom and power of God, and to preach the crucified Christ. Thus it was in the Passion of the Lord he found strength and the inspiration of his ministry: Passio Christi, conforta me!  [Quote at the base of the icon]

815-070-final-small Iconographers from the Nazareth Studio at the Institute of St. Joseph in Boyd, Wisconsin, have written a beautiful icon of Saint John Vianney (the Curé of Ars) which is appropriately enshrined in the Priest’s Sacristy. Saint John Vianney (1786-1859) is known for his work as a confessor, giving of himself for 11-16 hours daily in the confessional. He is the patron saint of parish priests and all priests. He as canonized in 1925 by Pope Pius XI.

 The composition of this icon of Saint John-Baptiste Marie Vianney integrates both traditions of the Christian East (Byzantine) and Latin West…  He stands with hands folded around the Holy Rosary, eyes lowered in prayer. He wears the confessor’s stole as a reminder of his exemplary dedication to the Sacrament of Penance. The buildings in the background symbolize the church and the rectory in Ars, France, the place Saint John Vianney lived his priestly consecration. – Nazareth Studio

Icons - Pilgrim Center Description of the Reredos, located in the Pilgrim Center,

is forthcoming

Ghent-Altarpiece-Virgin-Mary-detail  Description of this icon, used on a prayer card,

is forthcoming

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Translate »