A son and his mother make a “walking pilgrimage” for life!
Mike Kulhanek’s mother, Juanita, wanted to make a walking/hiking pilgrimage, like her son has done — Seville to Compostello, Spain – via de la Plata; Greece; Jasna Gora; Crakow; La Salette; Christ in the Desert.
Encouraged by Pope Francis, to make a pilgrimage closer to home, they planned a “Walking Pilgrimage for Life”, in the month of October in honor of Mother Mary. The dates were set to walk from the National Shrine of St. Paul, the Cathedral in St. Paul, MN, to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, in La Crosse, WI, from October 11-19. They offered the novena of walking days for pro-life intentions, reparations for sins and conversion of the world. The “pilgrimage” began and concluded with the celebration of Holy Mass and opportunity for Confession.
“Making a walking pilgrimage, along an unknown route, not knowing what is going to happen, one puts his trust in God. Powerful experiences occurred along the way:
- experience on a daily basis what it means to be homeless;
- encountering a woman who said she is an abortionist, and who would not talk to us anymore after she ready my mom’s button for Silent No More “Women Do Regret Abortion”, and I cited that “a baby fights” during an abortion;
- spiritual warfare, tempted to give up, at one point during a particular strong moment to give up, I felt a nudge at my back and I turned around and there was a big German Shepherd, that walked with me for 3 miles!”
Many opportunities to make sacrifices, pray, fast, in reparation for the outrages committed against human life. Do it where God puts us, and He will give the grace that we need to do it … like the German Shepherd who walked alongside Mike.
Mike and his mother (who is 73 years old) learned a few lessons:
- trails are better to walk than pavement;
- have flexibility to modify the route;
- able to cook out on wood fire; and
- consider the amount of time and distance.
If you have questions about the Pilgrimage, please feel free to contact Mike: firstname.lastname@example.org.