Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy
In calling for this Jubilee, Pope Francis is encouraging the faithful
to know the Face of God’s Mercy — Jesus Christ Incarnate — and
to show that Face of Mercy to the world through our deeds and words.
“Jesus Christ is the Face of the Father’s Mercy…..
We need constantly to contemplate the mystery of mercy.
It is a wellspring of joy, serenity, and peace. Our salvation depends on it.”
Thus, Pope Francis invites all to discover in this Jubilee the joy of rediscovering and rendering fruitful God’s mercy.
“God forgives all, and God forgives always. Let us never tire of asking forgiveness.”
THE HOLY DOOR
Pope Francis is seeking to make the indulgence as widely available as possible. In the Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy, a Holy Door is to be opened in every cathedral around the world, as well as in particular shrines, where large numbers of pilgrims come to honor the mercy of God.
The Bishop of La Crosse, His Excellency William Patrick Callahan, OFMConv., designated a Holy Door for the Jubilee of Mercy at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe: DECREE
- On November 9, 2015, Bishop Callahan blessed and sealed the door designated to be the Holy Door.
- On the III Sunday of Advent, December 13, 2015, Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke opened the Holy Door.
The Jubilee of Mercy features a very special plenary indulgence (the complete remission of all temporal punishment due to sin).
To receive the Jubilee of Mercy indulgence:
- one must fulfill the usual conditions, (specified below); and,
- perform the indulgenced act:
- Information regarding the normal conditions for receiving a plenary indulgence can be found HERE.
- Additional times for the Sacrament of Confession are available during the Jubilee of Mercy. Schedule can be found HERE.
- The Holy Father offers means for the sick, the elderly, and the imprisoned, to gain the Jubilee Indulgence in his PAPAL BULL.